- 7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 pounds onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pound pitted prunes, halved
- 12 ounces pitted dates, halved
- 10 ounces dried apricot halves (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 (4- to 4 1/2-pound) chickens, rinsed, patted dry
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (or more) water
- 1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted
Heat 6 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until deep golden brown, about 30 minutes; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer onions to large bowl; mix in prunes, dates, apricots, sugar, and cinnamon. Do ahead Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread fruit mixture over bottom of large roasting pan. Tuck chicken wing tips under. Rub each chicken with 1/2 tablespoon remaining olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper; place chickens, side by side, atop fruit mixture. Pour 11/2 cups water around chickens. Roast chickens 1 hour. Turn pan around; add more water to fruit mixture by 1/4 cupfuls if beginning to dry. Continue to roast chickens until brown and juices run clear when thigh is pierced, about 45 minutes.
Transfer chickens to carving board; let stand 10 minutes. Spoon fruit onto platter; top with chickens and any accumulated juices. Sprinkle with almonds and serve.