- 1 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 whole red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 whole red pepper, roasted and peeled (doing it yourself is better since the meat of the pepper will stay firmer than jarred roasted peppers)
- 6 dill gherkins, thinly sliced (not the sweet ones) don't drain, save some of the juice
- 1/3 c. mayonnaise
- 2 tbs. red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Mix all the vegetables together in a refrigerator safe bowl making sure to add the juice from the sliced gherkins to the bowl. Whisk together the last 3 ingredients, add more vinegar if you like a thinner dressing, and add to the vegetables. You probably won't need to add salt since the gherkins will make the dish salty enough.
Let let for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend. Server slightly chilled
Serves 6 as a side dish, also good as topping for hamburgers.