- 12 ounces spicy smoked sausage (such as linguiça, andouille, or hot links), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup garlic-flavored olive oil, you can 'fake' this by adding a chopped garlic clove to the pan when you heat the oil (that's what I do sometimes)
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 4 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 4 large plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 1/2 cups cooked leftover turkey, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen peas
Preheat oven to 350°F. Brown sausage in large skillet over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Heat olive oil in 6 1/2-quart pot over medium-high heat. This is a big pot and will look to large at the start but you need the space for the rice to expand and to create a 'dutch oven' effect. Add onions and cook until golden, stirring often, about 12 minutes. Add bell pepper; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in rice and saffron, then next 5 ingredients. IMPORTANT, do not stir the dish after this point. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 15 minutes. Add sausage, turkey, and peas to rice mixture. Bake paella 10 minutes and serve.